My dolls LOVE pets! They have Coconut, Licorice, and their horse Sugar, but have been really wanting a new pet. Since it takes a lot to have a pet, they wanted one that they could have inside and take care of. So, guess what kind of pet they got?
...a Hermit Crab!!
This was a lot of fun to make! Do your dolls want a hermit crab too?
The supplies you need are:
- Small Shells (Conch shells look the best, you can buy them at craft stores)
- Tan or brown pipecleaners
- Small googy eyes
- Glue (or Hot-Glue if you have it!)
- And, a parent/guardian to help you!
Here are the super easy steps:
1) Pick what shell you want your hermit crab to live in
2) Cut a pipecleaner into 4, 1 inch pipecleaners to be the legs. Fold or adjust them to fit in the opening of the shell and glue.
3) Get two googly eyes and glue them on the top of the shell, the swirl part of the shell being the back of the crab.
To make your doll's Hermit Crab a house, use an old American Girl box. Cut tan construction paper to be the sand and use green tissue paper to be lettuce for your doll's crab. For the water, use a plastic water bottle cap and put blue tissue paper in it. Then, decorate your crab's house with other shells. Don't forget to add another big shell, in case your doll's crab gets tired of its current shell.
I hope your doll has fun with her new pet...hermit crabs would make a good first pet if your doll isn't ready to own a cat or dog yet. :)
If you make one for your doll, I would love to see it! Feel free to email me a picture at firstname.lastname@example.org. (I can even post it!)
I'm wondering...do you and your doll have any pets? If you could have any pet what would it be?